Former CJI`s brother quits as special govt pleader
Kochi: Amid charges of amassing wealth disproportionate to known sources of income against former CJI Justice KG Balakrishnan`s family, his brother KG Bhaskaran on Friday resigned as Special Government Pleader in High Court
becoming second family member to quit a post under a cloud.
Bhaskaran resigned citing health problems amid allegations of amassing wealth disproportionate to his known sources of income with his exit coming two days after
Balakrishnan`s son-in-law PV Sreenijan quit Youth Congress on similar charges.
Court sources said Bhaskaran, who was looking after various cases of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes, sent in his resignation to Advocate General CP Sudhakara Prasad.
Bhaskaran told a news agency he was being treated by doctors of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences for respiratory problems and would be leaving for Delhi for further treatment.
"I was finding it difficult to go to court, though I was attending office," he said.
Asked if he had consulted Justice Balakrishnan before putting in his papers, Bhaskaran replied in the negative.
However, he said Justice Balakrishnan had two months ago advised him to resign as he was not keeping good health.
Bhaskaran had gone on medical leave after the Advocate General asked him to either quit as special government pleader or go on leave.
Adding to the woes of Balakrishnan, a complaint has also been filed in a vigilance court seeking a probe into charges of amassing wealth disproportionate to known sources of income against his family members.
A vigilance probe is on against Sreenijan, who unsuccessfully contested the last Assembly polls on a Congress ticket.
Chief Minister VS Achuthanandan had said this week that his government would take action against Bhaskaran if any complaint was received against him.
Former Supreme Court judge Justice VR Krishna Iyer has demanded a judicial probe into allegations against Justice Balakrishnan`s family members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Sundar Raman, tainted IPL franchises face uncertain future