Former CJI`s brother quits as special govt pleader
Kochi: Amid charges of amassing wealth disproportionate to known sources of income against former CJI Justice KG Balakrishnan`s family, his brother KG Bhaskaran on Friday resigned as Special Government Pleader in High Court
becoming second family member to quit a post under a cloud.
Bhaskaran resigned citing health problems amid allegations of amassing wealth disproportionate to his known sources of income with his exit coming two days after
Balakrishnan`s son-in-law PV Sreenijan quit Youth Congress on similar charges.
Court sources said Bhaskaran, who was looking after various cases of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes, sent in his resignation to Advocate General CP Sudhakara Prasad.
Bhaskaran told a news agency he was being treated by doctors of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences for respiratory problems and would be leaving for Delhi for further treatment.
"I was finding it difficult to go to court, though I was attending office," he said.
Asked if he had consulted Justice Balakrishnan before putting in his papers, Bhaskaran replied in the negative.
However, he said Justice Balakrishnan had two months ago advised him to resign as he was not keeping good health.
Bhaskaran had gone on medical leave after the Advocate General asked him to either quit as special government pleader or go on leave.
Adding to the woes of Balakrishnan, a complaint has also been filed in a vigilance court seeking a probe into charges of amassing wealth disproportionate to known sources of income against his family members.
A vigilance probe is on against Sreenijan, who unsuccessfully contested the last Assembly polls on a Congress ticket.
Chief Minister VS Achuthanandan had said this week that his government would take action against Bhaskaran if any complaint was received against him.
Former Supreme Court judge Justice VR Krishna Iyer has demanded a judicial probe into allegations against Justice Balakrishnan`s family members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head