Former CJI`s brother quits as special govt pleader
Kochi: Amid charges of amassing wealth disproportionate to known sources of income against former CJI Justice KG Balakrishnan`s family, his brother KG Bhaskaran on Friday resigned as Special Government Pleader in High Court
becoming second family member to quit a post under a cloud.
Bhaskaran resigned citing health problems amid allegations of amassing wealth disproportionate to his known sources of income with his exit coming two days after
Balakrishnan`s son-in-law PV Sreenijan quit Youth Congress on similar charges.
Court sources said Bhaskaran, who was looking after various cases of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes, sent in his resignation to Advocate General CP Sudhakara Prasad.
Bhaskaran told a news agency he was being treated by doctors of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences for respiratory problems and would be leaving for Delhi for further treatment.
"I was finding it difficult to go to court, though I was attending office," he said.
Asked if he had consulted Justice Balakrishnan before putting in his papers, Bhaskaran replied in the negative.
However, he said Justice Balakrishnan had two months ago advised him to resign as he was not keeping good health.
Bhaskaran had gone on medical leave after the Advocate General asked him to either quit as special government pleader or go on leave.
Adding to the woes of Balakrishnan, a complaint has also been filed in a vigilance court seeking a probe into charges of amassing wealth disproportionate to known sources of income against his family members.
A vigilance probe is on against Sreenijan, who unsuccessfully contested the last Assembly polls on a Congress ticket.
Chief Minister VS Achuthanandan had said this week that his government would take action against Bhaskaran if any complaint was received against him.
Former Supreme Court judge Justice VR Krishna Iyer has demanded a judicial probe into allegations against Justice Balakrishnan`s family members.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state