Former Kerala minister urges HC to quash rape case
Kochi: Beleaguered former minister Jose Thettayil on Thursday filed a petition in the Kerala High Court here demanding the quashing of a rape case against him.
A 30-year-old woman has alleged that the former minister and his son Adarsh repeatedly exploited her sexually last year and claimed to have video proof of her claim. Visuals of the alleged acts were earlier telecast on TV channels.
Following her complaint, the police registered a case under Section 376 of the Indian Penal Code (rape) against the former minister and his son.
Thettayil is a legislator of the Janata Dal-S that is in the opposition.
In his petition, Thettayil said there was no rape involved and that a case must be made against the woman for circulating the visuals. He said he was being made a scapegoat in a political conspiracy.
Earlier this week, the legislator`s wife Dasiy Thettayil came out in support of her husband, stating that the case was fabricated.
The 30-year-old complainant said Thettayil promised her that he would get his son married to her, but did not keep his word. She said she was resorting to the legal route as a way to teach the legislator a lesson.
"He says the visuals have been morphed. I have done no such thing. I have handed over the original tape. In fact, he has morphed some visuals. I had given him the laptop and a copy of it," the woman told media people here Thursday.
Thettayil, who represents the Angamaly constituency in Ernakulam district, has stayed away from the public glare since June 23, after the visuals of the alleged sexual exploitation were telecast on TV.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Sky is the limit for investments in India: Arun Jaitley
- Like seriously! Kanye West lying naked along with other 11 personalities in his 'Famous' video - Watch
- Why hot climate fuels aggression, violence
- Dinosaur-era bugs knew how to camouflage
- Mumbai school refuses admission to boy, judge offers to pay fees