Get clearances, go ahead: Kerala CM on Aranmula airport project
Thiruvananthapuram: The proposed Rs 2,000-crore KGS Aranmula international airport project in Kerala can go ahead if its promoters get the required environment clearance, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said on Friday.
The proposed project suffered a huge setback on Wednesday when a tribunal cancelled its environment clearance.
"The state government is not going for an appeal against the verdict but if the promoters go ahead and get all the needed environment clearances then we will not stop it," Chandy told reporters here.
After a legal battle between the airport`s promoters and five organisations based in Aranmula, the Chennai bench of the National Green Tribunal ruled that the agency which conducted the study was not competent to give an environment clearance for the airport.
The airport complex, said to be the first private international airport in the country, is based in Aranmula in Pathanamthitta district in an area of 700 acres.
The KGS Aranmula International Airport Company has 500 acres in its possession.
The proposed airport is located about 110 km from the state capital and 30 km from the famed Sabarimala temple.
In November last year, managing director of the proposed airport Gigi George said all the required sanctions for the airport came from the Achuthanandan-led Left government in March 2011.
However, the KGS group said it will take the legal route against the verdict.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read