Girl`s parents, leaders hail verdict in Suryanelli gang-rape case
Thiruvananthapuram: The parents of the girl, political leaders and women rights activists today hailed the Supreme Court order setting aside the Kerala High Court`s acquittal of 35 accused in the Suryanelli gang-rape case.
"We thank God. Our prayers for justice have been heard," the girl`s father said from Idukki district.
Her mother said she and her husband were grateful to all those who helped them in their prolonged pursuit of justice.
CPI(M) veteran and former chief minister V S Achuthanandan, who has taken the initiative in helping the parents of the girl to pursue the case, said he was happy that justice had been delivered though it came a bit delayed.
In a statement here, the 88-year-old leader said he would continue his struggle for justice to victims in similar cases.
P K Sreemathy, leader of CPI-M`s women wing AIDWA and a former minister, said the apex court verdict in the Suryanelli case could be considered as a landmark order to be followed by courts in trial of sexual exploitation cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery
- BSF guns down 2 Pakistani, 2 Indian drug smugglers near border in Punjab