Girl`s parents, leaders hail verdict in Suryanelli gang-rape case
Thiruvananthapuram: The parents of the girl, political leaders and women rights activists today hailed the Supreme Court order setting aside the Kerala High Court`s acquittal of 35 accused in the Suryanelli gang-rape case.
"We thank God. Our prayers for justice have been heard," the girl`s father said from Idukki district.
Her mother said she and her husband were grateful to all those who helped them in their prolonged pursuit of justice.
CPI(M) veteran and former chief minister V S Achuthanandan, who has taken the initiative in helping the parents of the girl to pursue the case, said he was happy that justice had been delivered though it came a bit delayed.
In a statement here, the 88-year-old leader said he would continue his struggle for justice to victims in similar cases.
P K Sreemathy, leader of CPI-M`s women wing AIDWA and a former minister, said the apex court verdict in the Suryanelli case could be considered as a landmark order to be followed by courts in trial of sexual exploitation cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!