Girl`s parents, leaders hail verdict in Suryanelli gang-rape case
Thiruvananthapuram: The parents of the girl, political leaders and women rights activists today hailed the Supreme Court order setting aside the Kerala High Court`s acquittal of 35 accused in the Suryanelli gang-rape case.
"We thank God. Our prayers for justice have been heard," the girl`s father said from Idukki district.
Her mother said she and her husband were grateful to all those who helped them in their prolonged pursuit of justice.
CPI(M) veteran and former chief minister V S Achuthanandan, who has taken the initiative in helping the parents of the girl to pursue the case, said he was happy that justice had been delivered though it came a bit delayed.
In a statement here, the 88-year-old leader said he would continue his struggle for justice to victims in similar cases.
P K Sreemathy, leader of CPI-M`s women wing AIDWA and a former minister, said the apex court verdict in the Suryanelli case could be considered as a landmark order to be followed by courts in trial of sexual exploitation cases.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan