Gold biscuit valued at Rs 30 lakh seized at Kochi airport
Kochi: A one-kg gold biscuit valued at approximately Rs 30 lakh was today seized by Customs Air Intelligence Unit from a passenger who arrived here from Dubai.
The passenger, Abdul Kareem, reached here by a flight early this morning.
The gold biscuit was found cut into two pieces and cleverly concealed inside specially made cavities of a pair of sandals worn by the passenger, who had left for Dubai from India on December 10 on his first visit abroad, airport sources said.
To qualify to import one kg of gold, a passenger has to stay abroad for more than six months and the duty amount has to be paid in convertible foreign exchange.
This is the first gold seizure in this month while the gold imported through the legitimate channel by payment of duty from Dec 1-Dec 18 was 129.64 kg.
This is the highest import of legitimate gold for a month and the duty amount collected was approximately Rs 4 crore, the sources said.
The seizure was effected by a team of officers under the overall supervision of Deputy Commissioner of Customs (Air Intelligence Unit) S A S Navaz and Assistant Commissioner Sanjay Kumar.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people