Gold smuggling case: Investigations on Fayaz`s links with higher ups
Thiruvananthapuram: Investigating officials were probing the links of Fayaz, the prime accused in the case relating to smuggling of 20 kgs of gold from Dubai to Kochi last week, with top government officials and prominent personalities from politics and cinema.
Customs officials reportedly seized pictures of Fayaz along with some prominent personalities from politics, cinema and top government officials.
The-38-year-old, hailing from Mahe, an enclave of Puducherry in Kerala, was arrested last week from Delhi while attempting to leave for Dubai.
Customs Preventive Commissionerate had issued a look-out notice for him, after two women, suspected to be carriers, were arrested on charges of attempting to smuggle 20 kgs of gold from Nedumbassery airport at Kochi on their arrival from Dubai.
The smuggling racket came to light when Customs officials arrested the women, who had managed to come out of the green channel allegedly with the help of customs officials.
The case had raised eyebrows with alleged revelation by Fayaz that he had links with a former member of Chief Minister Oommen Chandy`s office, who was removed for his alleged connection with Solar panel scam accused.
Home Minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan said the government would extend all support for an effective investigation in the case to CBI, which is probing the case.
"If they ask the government to probe any special matters connected with this case, police would defintely do it. The state government view is that that investigation in the case should not become weak at any cost`, he told.
The seizure was the largest in the recent history of gold smuggling cases detected in the country.
Meanwhile, P C George, government Chief Whip and a known critic of the UDF government, demanded that the investigation into the case be handed over to National Investigation Agency.
In a letter to Chandy, George said an NIA probe could only remove the doubts and suspicion in the minds of people about the case and UDF government could protect its image. As the main accused had connections with higher ups, there were chances that the probe by any other agencies could be tampered with, he said.
Three customs officials were among the seven accused in the case registered by CBI in connection with the smuggling.
Meanwhile, mother of a television actress, who allegedly committed suicide in November 2011, alleged that her daughter had been murdered by Fayaz and some others who were involved in smuggling and human trafficking racket.
The death had been registered as a case of suicide as Fayaz had high police connections, she had alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22