Gold smuggling case: Investigations on Fayaz`s links with higher ups
Thiruvananthapuram: Investigating officials were probing the links of Fayaz, the prime accused in the case relating to smuggling of 20 kgs of gold from Dubai to Kochi last week, with top government officials and prominent personalities from politics and cinema.
Customs officials reportedly seized pictures of Fayaz along with some prominent personalities from politics, cinema and top government officials.
The-38-year-old, hailing from Mahe, an enclave of Puducherry in Kerala, was arrested last week from Delhi while attempting to leave for Dubai.
Customs Preventive Commissionerate had issued a look-out notice for him, after two women, suspected to be carriers, were arrested on charges of attempting to smuggle 20 kgs of gold from Nedumbassery airport at Kochi on their arrival from Dubai.
The smuggling racket came to light when Customs officials arrested the women, who had managed to come out of the green channel allegedly with the help of customs officials.
The case had raised eyebrows with alleged revelation by Fayaz that he had links with a former member of Chief Minister Oommen Chandy`s office, who was removed for his alleged connection with Solar panel scam accused.
Home Minister Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan said the government would extend all support for an effective investigation in the case to CBI, which is probing the case.
"If they ask the government to probe any special matters connected with this case, police would defintely do it. The state government view is that that investigation in the case should not become weak at any cost`, he told.
The seizure was the largest in the recent history of gold smuggling cases detected in the country.
Meanwhile, P C George, government Chief Whip and a known critic of the UDF government, demanded that the investigation into the case be handed over to National Investigation Agency.
In a letter to Chandy, George said an NIA probe could only remove the doubts and suspicion in the minds of people about the case and UDF government could protect its image. As the main accused had connections with higher ups, there were chances that the probe by any other agencies could be tampered with, he said.
Three customs officials were among the seven accused in the case registered by CBI in connection with the smuggling.
Meanwhile, mother of a television actress, who allegedly committed suicide in November 2011, alleged that her daughter had been murdered by Fayaz and some others who were involved in smuggling and human trafficking racket.
The death had been registered as a case of suicide as Fayaz had high police connections, she had alleged.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery