Governor Nikhil Kumar asks employees to promote Hindi
Thiruvananthapuram: Hindi can only achieve wider acceptability in non-Hindi speaking regions if the simple and flexible version of it was used for communication instead of complex words and rigid sentences, Kerala Governor Nikhil Kumar said on Tuesday.
Speaking at the inauguration of the Hindi Fortnight Celebrations at HLL Lifecare Limited today, he said compelling people to use a language they are not familiar with will only be counterproductive in the longer term.
"Hindi was adopted as the official language of the constituent assembly on September 14, 1949. Sixty-four years on, we are still promoting it," Kumar pointed out.
"This slow pace is not because of lack of effort there has been plenty of that but exposing non-speakers to the charm of everyday Hindi without forcing it upon them is the only way to accelerate its adoption as envisioned in the government policy."
He said mixing English, Urdu, and vernacular words in Hindi was a good practice because it enriches the language and makes it more accessible and appealing to people who do not speak it as a first language.
Kumar said he was impressed by HLLs credentials as a company working to bring affordable healthcare to the public and earn valuable foreign exchange through exports.
The Governor gave away prizes to winners of various competitions that were held as part of the Hindi Diwas celebrations at the company.
Messages from Union Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde and Union Minister for Health and Family Affairs Ghulam Nabi Azad were read out at the function.
HLL Chairman and Managing Director M Ayyappan, who presided over the function today briefed about the company`s various initiatives and projects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Christian group claims that the world will be 'annihilated' today!