Govt appeal posted to January third week
Kochi: Kerala High Court on Sunday posted to January third week the hearing on a Government appeal, acting on which a division bench had stayed the single judge`s order quashing the FIR against former Chief Minister VS Achutanandan in a land allotment case.
The order in this regard was issued by a Division Bench comprising Chief Justice Manjula Chellur and Justice AM Shaffique. The bench reiterated that chargesheet should not be laid in the case till the appeal was disposed.
On December 6, the Marxist veteran had secured relief from Justice S S Sateeshchandran, who held that framing a case against him on "false and frivolous" allegation was "unworthy of any merit", while allowing Achuthanandan`s plea to quash proceedings against him.
But moving swiftly, Congress-led UDF government challenged the order and a Division Bench comprising Chief Justice Manjula Chellur and Justice A M Shaffique admitted the appeal. The bench, had however, made it clear that the chargesheet will not be laid in the case till the appeal was disposed.
When the appeal came up before the bench today, Advocate General K P Dandapani assured the court that the defects in the appeal would be cured. The court then adjourned the case for detailed hearing to January third week.
The case pertains to alleged violation of norms while allotting 2.33 acres of land to T K Soman, an ex-serviceman and Achuthanandan`s close relative, in Kasaragod district when he was Chief Minister heading the LDF ministry during 2006-2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves