Govt not to probe veracity of Sabarimala ‘divine light`
Thiruvananthapuram: Amid a debate over the truth of `Makarajyoti`, held as a divine light by millions of Ayyappa devotees, Kerala Chief Minister VS Achuthanandan Thursday said the Government was not going to probe whether it was a divine phenomenon or man-lit exercise as essentially the whole issue was a matter of faith for millions.
"The Government is neither going to consult astrologers nor materialist scientists to ascertain the veracity of Makarajothi, which millions believe as divine and throng the temple with intense wish to sight it", he said.
"Makarajyothi` is a light that flickers across the skies above the Ponnambalamedu east of the Sabarimala shrine on during the Makarasamkrama pooja of the hill shrine. Traditionally, it is held in high reverence by believers as a divine phenomenon but rationalists have for long dubbed it as a man-lit fire arranged with by the temple authorities and the government agencies to bluff the devotees.
The debate over the matter has re-surfaced in the wake of the stampede at Pullumedu last week in which 102 devotees returning after `makarasjoyti` darshan were killed.
Interestingly, a member of the family of high priests of Sabarimala, Rahul Eswar, appeared on the scene saying that it fire appearing above is man-lit while what the actual `makarajyhti` is a bright star that ascends on the skies on the occasion of makarasamkramam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow