Govt recommends action against Information Commissioner
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala government has submitted a report to the state Governor recommending suspension of Information Commissioner K Natarajan, who is facing allegation of intervening in the land gift case involving CPI(M) stalwart V S Achuthanandan.
The recommendation is based on the inquiry conducted by ADGP R Sreelekha following a complaint from a Deputy Superintendent of Police probing the case that Natarajan had allegedly telephoned and asked him to spare Achuthanandan from being made the first accused in the case.
The action against Natarajan, a former DIG of police, was referred to Governor H R Bharadwaj on the basis of advice from the Home and Law Departments, official sources said.
Sreelekha had enquired into the complaint of Vigilance DySP V G Kunhan that Natarajan had been allegedly putting pressure on him to spare Achuthanandan in the case.
The case against Achuthanandan pertains to alleged violation of norms while allotting land to T K Soman, an ex-serviceman and his close relative in Kasaragod district when he was Chief Minister heading the previous LDF ministry.
Achuthanandan, the then Principal Secretary to Chief Minister Sheela Thomas, personal assistant Suresh and former Revenue Minister K P Rajendran are among the accused in the case. The matter came to light at the fag-end of the previous LDF rule and a Vigilance probe was ordered by the present UDF government.
An FIR has been registered with Achuthanandan as the first accused in a vigilance court at Kozhikode.
As per law, action against Information Commissioner can be taken only after an enquiry by the Supreme Court. However, the Governor has the power to suspend Information Commissioners in the event of malpractices.
Natarajan was appointed Information Commissioner during Achuthanandan`s tenure as Chief Minister.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city