Govt recommends action against Information Commissioner
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala government has submitted a report to the state Governor recommending suspension of Information Commissioner K Natarajan, who is facing allegation of intervening in the land gift case involving CPI(M) stalwart V S Achuthanandan.
The recommendation is based on the inquiry conducted by ADGP R Sreelekha following a complaint from a Deputy Superintendent of Police probing the case that Natarajan had allegedly telephoned and asked him to spare Achuthanandan from being made the first accused in the case.
The action against Natarajan, a former DIG of police, was referred to Governor H R Bharadwaj on the basis of advice from the Home and Law Departments, official sources said.
Sreelekha had enquired into the complaint of Vigilance DySP V G Kunhan that Natarajan had been allegedly putting pressure on him to spare Achuthanandan in the case.
The case against Achuthanandan pertains to alleged violation of norms while allotting land to T K Soman, an ex-serviceman and his close relative in Kasaragod district when he was Chief Minister heading the previous LDF ministry.
Achuthanandan, the then Principal Secretary to Chief Minister Sheela Thomas, personal assistant Suresh and former Revenue Minister K P Rajendran are among the accused in the case. The matter came to light at the fag-end of the previous LDF rule and a Vigilance probe was ordered by the present UDF government.
An FIR has been registered with Achuthanandan as the first accused in a vigilance court at Kozhikode.
As per law, action against Information Commissioner can be taken only after an enquiry by the Supreme Court. However, the Governor has the power to suspend Information Commissioners in the event of malpractices.
Natarajan was appointed Information Commissioner during Achuthanandan`s tenure as Chief Minister.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof