Govt seeks explanation from organisers on national anthem row
Thiruvananthapuram: Embarrassed by the inept compering and mistakes in rendering the national anthem at a function attended by Vice-President Hamid Ansari in the city this week, the Kerala Government has sought explanation from the organisers of the event.
The Genderal Administration Department has sought an explanation from Sree Narayana Dharma Samithi, the organisers of the event, official sources said on Friday.
At the event held on Tuesday, the first Sree Narayana Guru Global Secular and Peace Award was presented to Union Minister Shashi Tharoor by Ansari at the University Senate Hall here.
The national anthem was rendered by a member of the Samithi with mistakes and also certain remarks about Ansari by the compere, G S Pradeep, a TV anchor, caused embarrassment to the audience and to the dignitaries present, which included Chief Minister Oommen Chandy and Governor Nikil Kumar.
However, when asked about the incident, Chandy said he did not know if there was any protocol violation. "It is not possible for everybody to sing in the same way. How will it look if I start singing?" he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site