Govt seeks time for filing reply to ISRO x-chief
Kochi: Government on Tuesday sought three weeks for instructions and filing of reply to former ISRO Chairman G Madhavan Nair`s plea in the CAT seeking quashing of its decision to bar him from holding any government posts for his
role in the Antrix-Devas deal.
Counsel for Central Government, T P Ibrahim Khan, made the plea in response to Nair`s petition filed yesterday at the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) here challenging the government`s decision as also it’s two other orders which, he said, had "damaged" his reputation.
Nair, who has vowed "to fight it out till the last bit",had also yesterday filed an appeal under the RTI before the Central Information Commission seeking reasons for blacklisting him from government jobs.
In the petition before CAT, Nair sought quashing of chapter 6 of the September 2, 2011, report of the high-level team constituted by the government to examine the facts and circumstances of agreement between Antrix and Devas Multi Media Private Ltd on the controversial S-band deal.
He also sought quashing of the January 13 order excluding him from right for re-employment, committee roles or any other important role under government and its bodies and divesting him of any current assignment with government and its
Aggrieved by the January 13 order, terminating his appointment as Dr Vikram Sarabhai Distinguished Professor, Nair had sought a direction to the government for his reinstatement till the expiry of his four-year term. In the alternative, he sought adequate compensation.
The three government orders had `damaged` his reputation as an individual and status as a scientist, especially when he had associated with the Department of Space from its inception, he said, adding, they had been issued with `substantial amount of malice`.
The orders were against the principles of fair play and natural justice and are void ab initio (not legally binding) and incompetent for want of jurisdiction and authority, he had submitted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery