Govt to follow constitution, Governors should `follow conscience`: Javadekar
Kochi: The BJP-led NDA government will follow the Constitution on change of state Governors, but Governors and other political appointees should `follow their conscience,`Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting (Independent charge), Prakash Javadekar said here today.
"I expect that government will follow the Constitution and Governors and other appointees should follow their conscience," he said, responding to media reports over the Centre seeking the resignation of some state governors appointed by the previous Congress led UPA governemnt.
"We have not sought resignation of state Governors", he said pointing out that when he was State Planning Commission Deputy chairman in Maharastra in 1994-96, he had resigned soon after the results were out.
"The day we lost elections one hour after results came, I gave my resignation immediately to the Chief Secretary. And next day I left the government bungalow and went to MLA`s quarters without somebody asking me", he said.
`My cosncience tells me that when I am appointed as a non official political appointment when people have given mandate differently, then I must respect that mandate. That`s my commitment to demoratic principles`.
When pointed that asking Governors to resign was against a Supreme Court ruling of 2010, he said `no Supreme Court decision has stopped anyone from resigning`
"I resigned because I respect democracy, I respect the mandate, I understand the political meaning of the mandate," he said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand