Hate speech: Court rejects CPI(M) leader Mani`s bail plea
Thodupuzha (Ker): A local court on Monday rejected the bail plea of senior CPI(M) leader MM Mani, arrested in connection with a three-decade-old political murder case which was re-opened in the wake of a controversial speech made by him.
District judge K Ramakrishnan turned down Mani`s plea on the ground that the investigation was in the preliminary phase and granting bail at this juncture could affect its course.
Mani`s counsels, however, said the arrest of Mani were illegal.
The prosecution held that Mani was an an influential political leader and could influence the probe if he was granted bail.
Mani was arrested and remanded to judicial custody on Nov 21 and sent to the sub-jail in Peerumade in Idukki district after he refused to comply with the police notice to appear for a polygraph test in the case.
He will be produced in court tomorrow on expiry of his remand period.
Mani had sparked a raging row, which put CPI(M) on the defensive, by stating his party had in the past drawn up a list of some political foes to be eliminated and executed it.
Following this, police registered a criminal case against him and two other party activists by re-opening the murder of INTUC activist Anjery Baby 30 years ago.
Mani`s revelation came at a time when CPI(M) was under a cloud following the brutal murder of CPI-M rebel leader T P Chandrasekharan at Onjiyam in Vatakara.
But the central and state leadership has repeatedly asserted that physical elimination of rivals has never been its policy.
His speech had been roundly condemned by various political parties and forced the CPI(M) to remove him from the powerful post of district secretary and suspend him from the state committee.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days