Have to wait for judicial outcome: India to Italy on marines
New Delhi: India on Tuesday said it has explained to Italy that the case of Italian marines, accused of killing two fishermen, was in the province of judiciary and they will have to wait for the judicial outcome.
This was conveyed by the Indian Ambassador, who was summoned in Rome by the Italian foreign ministry to press for a decision before Christmas.
"Our Ambassador was summoned to emphasise on the importance that Italy places on an early decision on this matter. We have explained to them that this is a matter which is in the province of our judiciary and we will have to wait for an outcome of judicial action on that.
"As far as the petition that has been filed, it is their right to make that claim and whatever is the judicial decision in that we as executive will abide by that," official spokesperson in the Ministry of External Affairs said.
He was asked about the recent visit of Italian defence Minister to Kochi and summoning of Indian Ambassador in Rome.
Meanwhile earlier in the day, the Kerala government opposed in the high court the plea by the marines to facilitate their visit to Italy for Christmas, saying it would "torpedo" the trial even as the Centre`s response was sought by tomorrow.
Italy`s Defence Minister Giampaolo Di Paolo had on Sunday visited the two marines-- Massimiliano Latore and Salvatore Girone-- and also made an appeal for allowing them to return to Italy for Christmas.
- Hot alert! Shruti Hassan looks incredibly sexy on the cover of GQ magazine – See pic
- Awwdorable! Salman Khan shares picture of mother Salma and baby Ahil
- Look what Ranveer Singh is doing for ‘Befikre’
- Premier League: Leicester City clinch historic title after Eden Hazard`s stunning late goal vs Tottenham Hotspur
- EPL: Jamie Vardy, Riyad Mahrez and other key players who played major roles in Leicester City`s title success