HC adjourns Italian marines` case to September 12
Kollam: A local court on Monday adjourned to September 12 trial in the case with regard to shooting to death of two Indian fishermen by two Italian marines from the ship `Enrica Lexie` in February this year.
District and Sessions Court Judge PD Rajan adjourned the case on defence counsel`s plea for postponement in view of the Kerala High Court order staying the trial.
The marines -- Latore Massimilliano and Salvatore Girone -- are the accused in the case.
The marines, engaged for security of the vessel, were arrested on February 19 for allegedly opening fire and killing fishermen Jalestine and Ajesh Binki, who had ventured to sea from nearby Neendakara in a boat with nine others.
On August 9, the Court had reserved for orders the petition of the marines, seeking translated copies of the police report and case documents.
The court had earlier stayed till August 8 the proceedings pending before the Kollam Sessions court against them.
The marines had approached the court challenging the July 17 sessions court order that they were not eligible for translated version of the report and other documents pertaining to the case.
Government had submitted that though there was provision for giving a copy of chargesheet to the accused, there was no provision to give translated version.
On May 30, Kerala High Court had granted them bail with stringent conditions and they are staying here.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city