HC admits petition seeking CBI probe into lottery irregularities
Kochi: Kerala High Court Tuesday admitted a
petition seeking CBI probe into the alleged irregularities
in the conduct of other state lotteries in Kerala.
The ball is in the court of the central government. The
central government has to take action in this regard, a
division bench comprising chief justice J Chelemeswar
and P R Ramachandra Menon said while issuing notices to the
Central and state government, Bhutan and Sikkim governments
The petition was filed by V D Sateeshan, Congress MLA,
alleging that there were large scale irregularities in the
conduct of lotteries by Bhutan and Sikkim governments.
The bench also expressed its displeasure on the inaction of
the central government in not taking any action despite a
complaint from the chief minister of the state in this regard.
The matter requires examination. An MLA of the ruling
party in the central government had to approach the court for
intervention in the matter, the bench observed.
When the senior counsel appearing for Sikkim government
disputed the maintainability of the petition pointing that
the vigilance report preferred by the petitioner was
considered by the high court in 2006 judgement, bench observed
that there is `something more than vigilance report in the
Chief Minister`s letter`.
The state government reiterated that they have not sought
dismissal of the petition, but stand for CBI investigation.
It was also contended by the government that public
interest and reasons projected by the petitioner was `not
Court said even though political interest is alleged by
both the parties, following the allegations raised by the
petitioner, the court has constitutional obligation to
enquire into the matter.
The petition has been posted after two weeks.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months