HC allows Suryanelli case victim to choose lawyer
Kochi: Kerala High Court Thursday permitted the victim in the Suryanelli sex scandal to engage a lawyer of her choice to assist prosecution in the appeals in the two decade old case.
A division bench comprising Justices K T Sankaran and M L Joseph Francis, hearing appeals by the convicts in the case, allowed the victim`s plea to engage a counsel to assist the prosecution.
Earlier, the woman`s petition seeking to appoint special prosecutors was rejected by the high court.
She complained that even at this point of time, main arguments of the accused centre around her character and conduct and she should be given an opportunity to counter the attack and aspersions on her character.
Considering this plea, the bench permitted the victim to engage a counsel to assist the prosecution.
The sex scandal took place in Suryanelli in Idukki district on January 1996. The victim, then a 16-year-old, was threatened, abducted and abused by a bus conductor and was later confined and sexually assaulted for 45 days by 42 men.
The Supreme Court on January 31 set aside the Kerala High Court order that acquitted 35 persons who were convicted by a special court in September 2000. It also ordered the high court to conduct a re-trial in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter