HC allows Suryanelli case victim to choose lawyer
Kochi: Kerala High Court Thursday permitted the victim in the Suryanelli sex scandal to engage a lawyer of her choice to assist prosecution in the appeals in the two decade old case.
A division bench comprising Justices K T Sankaran and M L Joseph Francis, hearing appeals by the convicts in the case, allowed the victim`s plea to engage a counsel to assist the prosecution.
Earlier, the woman`s petition seeking to appoint special prosecutors was rejected by the high court.
She complained that even at this point of time, main arguments of the accused centre around her character and conduct and she should be given an opportunity to counter the attack and aspersions on her character.
Considering this plea, the bench permitted the victim to engage a counsel to assist the prosecution.
The sex scandal took place in Suryanelli in Idukki district on January 1996. The victim, then a 16-year-old, was threatened, abducted and abused by a bus conductor and was later confined and sexually assaulted for 45 days by 42 men.
The Supreme Court on January 31 set aside the Kerala High Court order that acquitted 35 persons who were convicted by a special court in September 2000. It also ordered the high court to conduct a re-trial in the case.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31