HC dismisses contempt plea in Abhaya case gainst two officials
Kochi: Kerala High Court on Monday dismissed a
contempt petition against a CBI official and a former forensic
official in the Sister Abhaya murder case.
The contempt petition was filed by M Thomas, Abhaya`s
father, against CBI DYSP Nandakumaran Nair and former
Assistant Director of Forensic Science Laboratory, Bangalore,
Dr Malini claiming that they had failed to comply with the
court`s earlier direction that the original CDs of narco tests
conducted on three accused be produced in the court.
The three accused are Father Thomas Kottoour, Father Jose
Puthrikayil and Sister Sephy.
A division bench comprising Justice K Balakrishnan Nair and
P Bhavadasan dismissed the petition saying all possible steps
had been taken and there was no wilful disobedience of orders.
The bench said the direction was to take all steps to
retrieve the orginal, unedited video of narco test, which had
been complied with.
Sister Abhaya was found dead in the well of the St Pius
Convent in Kottayam in 1992 and police had earlier closed the
case as a suicide. The investigation into the case was later
taken over by CBI which filed three closure reports. But the
Kerala High Court declined to accept the reports and asked the
agency to investigate further.
CBI`s Kochi unit, which took over the probe from the
agency`s Delhi unit as directed by high court, arrested the
three on the charge of murder in November last year and filed
the chargesheet in the CJM court on July 17 last.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!