HC dismisses petition seeking CBI probe against Amrita Mutt
Kochi: Kerala High Court today dismissed a petition seeking a direction to CBI to register an FIR and launch investigation against the Mata Amritanandamayi Mutt after a former inmate penned a memoir alleging sexual abuse.
Dismissing the petition by advocate Deepak Prakash, a division bench comprising Chief Justice Manjula Chellur and Justice A M Shaffique, observed that proper remedy of the petitioner is to approach the appropriate magistrate court.
The bench said it will not interfere in the matter.
According to the petitioner, a Supreme Court lawyer, the incident of rape happened in a religious place and the victim was a foreign national.
Prakash had lodged a complaint before police and thereafter the victim sent a mail to the petitioner corroborating the averments in the book.
The petitioner forwarded it to the concerned police officer including Police Commissioner and DGP for immediate action.
"Unfortunately, because of political pressure, till date no action has been taken." Even no FIR was lodged, the petitioner stated. This amounts to collapse of law and order, he submitted.
Gail Tradwell, a former aide of Mata Amritanandamayi, had raised a storm in her book `Holy Hell- a memoir of faith, devotion and pure madness` by alleging sexual exploitation and promiscuity among senior ashram inmates.
The Karunagapally police has asked Tradwell to give
her statement on the basis of the complaint lodged by the petitioner.
The ashram has refuted the allegations, describing them as totally unfounded and that the institution had been functioning in a transparent manner.
Kerala Police had on February 26 decided not to register a case against the mutt on the advocate`s plea in connection with the controversial book, saying the decision was taken after getting legal opinion in the matter.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof