HC grants bail to CPI-M leader Mani in murder case
Kochi: Kerala High Court on Thursday granted bail with stringent conditions to former CPI-M functionary M M Mani, arrested in connection with a three-decade old political murder case which was re-opened in the wake of a controversial speech made by him.
Mani, former CPI-M Idukki District Committee Secretary arrested in November last, was ordered by Justice P Bhavadasan to furnish a bond of Rs 25,000 and two sureties for the like amount.
He should appear before the investigating officer every Friday. Mani should not enter Idukki District till the investigation was over other than for appearing before investigating officer, the judge said.
Acceding to the request of DGP, the court also imposed a condition that Mani shall not make any public statement or threaten witnesses and police. He should not induce, threaten, or give promises to witnesses.
The judge orally observed that if cases are re-opened like this, no case will be concluded. The court also expressed doubt about the conspiracy aspect charged against Mani as well as registration of case after conclusion of appeal by high court in the same case.
Senior counsel for Mani, alleged that this was an unprecedented new criminal jurisprudence. For the last 42 days mani was under judicial custody and he was remanded to police custody for three days and was interrogated thoroughly, he stated.
Earlier, his bail application was rejected by the sessions court in Thodupuzha.
According to Mani, he has not committed any offences as alleged by police. The allegations does not constitute any offence as alleged by the police, he stated.
He had sparked a raging row, which put CPI(M) on the defensive, by stating his party had in the past had eliminated some political foes.
Following this, police registered a criminal case against him and two other party activists by re-opening the murder of INTUC activist Anjery Baby 30 years ago.
Mani was arrested and remanded to judicial custody on Nov 21 and sent to the sub-jail in Peerumade in Idukki district after he refused to comply with the police notice to appear for a polygraph test in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo