HC quashes case against CBI officials
Kochi: Kerala High Court on Friday quashed the case registered against two CBI officials in connection with the suicide of CBI ASP C Haridatt, who was investigating the custodial death of Sampath, a murder case accused.
In a petition filed by CBI inspectors Unnikrishnan Nair and B Rajan seeking to quash cases registered against them, Justice S S Sateeshchandran said the offences leveled against the petitioners were "unworthy of merit".
The court said Crime Branch-CID (CBCID) cannot sit in judgement or conduct an investigation into the probe conducted by the CBI in the Sampath case.
Haridutt, who was investigating the custodial death of Sampath, a murder accused, in which names of senior police officers had cropped up, had hanged himself at his house in March this year. In the suicide note, he had mentioned about Rajan and Unnikrishnan.
Merely on the basis of a suicide note, it cannot be said that the petitioners instigated Haridatt to commit suicide, the Judge said.
Under the guise of investigation into the suicide of Haridatt, Crime Branch was scrutinising whatever was done during the investigation of Sampath case by the investigation team headed by Haridatt, the court held.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch