HC quashes case against CBI officials
Kochi: Kerala High Court on Friday quashed the case registered against two CBI officials in connection with the suicide of CBI ASP C Haridatt, who was investigating the custodial death of Sampath, a murder case accused.
In a petition filed by CBI inspectors Unnikrishnan Nair and B Rajan seeking to quash cases registered against them, Justice S S Sateeshchandran said the offences leveled against the petitioners were "unworthy of merit".
The court said Crime Branch-CID (CBCID) cannot sit in judgement or conduct an investigation into the probe conducted by the CBI in the Sampath case.
Haridutt, who was investigating the custodial death of Sampath, a murder accused, in which names of senior police officers had cropped up, had hanged himself at his house in March this year. In the suicide note, he had mentioned about Rajan and Unnikrishnan.
Merely on the basis of a suicide note, it cannot be said that the petitioners instigated Haridatt to commit suicide, the Judge said.
Under the guise of investigation into the suicide of Haridatt, Crime Branch was scrutinising whatever was done during the investigation of Sampath case by the investigation team headed by Haridatt, the court held.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea