Heavy rains in Kerala leave 7 dead, cause extensive damage
Thiruvananthapuram: Heavy rains that have lashed Kerala for the past three days have left seven people dead and caused huge damage to property in many districts, officials said on Saturday.
The worst-affected districts include the capital district, Kozhikode, Pathanamthitta, Kottayam, Kozhikode, Kollam, Malappuram and deaths have been reported from these districts.
Most of the small dams in these districts are reported to be full and small streams in most places are overflowing.
As many as 16 homes have been fully damaged while 89 homes have been partially destroyed and 27 relief camps have been opened at various places in the states, according to official reports, while the destruction of crops is yet to be accounted for.
"I have been living in this house for the past 58 years and never before have I experienced this sort of water, all around the place. The electricity transformer is also submerged and we have no current for the past two days. Our well for the first time in my memory is full. This is a really bad time for my family," said John Thomas who lives near Kottayam.
The rains this time have affected both low-lying and hilly areas.
"At a lot of places in and around my place, there have been caving of the earth and roads have become unmotorable. Trees have also been uprooted and the river near my home is in spate," said Gopi Krishnan of Kozhikode district.
Due to the heavy rains, many of the main roads across the state are in bad shape and are witnessing heavy traffic jams. The state administration is closely monitoring the situation and in some districts, all educational institutions are closed for the past three days.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says