Help yet to reach Keralites in far off Libyan towns: Family
Thiruvananthapuram: A large number of Keralites working in Surt and Sebha regions of trouble-torn Libya are living in great anxiety as the Indian evacuation
efforts are yet to reach them, according to their family.
"My cousin Sreedharan, a store keeper in a construction company in Surt, called me the day before yesterday and said the Indian community in the area is living in fear," Renjini from Thrissur said to a news agency.
Though some of them had been able to contact the Indian
mission in Tripoli, they were yet to get any firm assurance
from the authorities when they would be taken out of the
trouble-torn country, Renjini said.
"What I could learn from my cousin was that many of them
are working in construction sites far away from urban areas
and airports. They are finding it difficult to reach safer
towns or airports as the situation in the region is quite
grim," she said.
"There are many people working in various roads and
bridges construction sites in Surt and Sebha. They have not
been able to contact home because of disruptions in
communications in the last two days. Calls made from here also
are not getting through," she said.
Surt region lies north of the country and Sebha is a city
in South-western Libya.
Renjini said her husband, who had worked in Libya for
many years, returned home four months ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark