Help yet to reach Keralites in far off Libyan towns: Family
Thiruvananthapuram: A large number of Keralites working in Surt and Sebha regions of trouble-torn Libya are living in great anxiety as the Indian evacuation
efforts are yet to reach them, according to their family.
"My cousin Sreedharan, a store keeper in a construction company in Surt, called me the day before yesterday and said the Indian community in the area is living in fear," Renjini from Thrissur said to a news agency.
Though some of them had been able to contact the Indian
mission in Tripoli, they were yet to get any firm assurance
from the authorities when they would be taken out of the
trouble-torn country, Renjini said.
"What I could learn from my cousin was that many of them
are working in construction sites far away from urban areas
and airports. They are finding it difficult to reach safer
towns or airports as the situation in the region is quite
grim," she said.
"There are many people working in various roads and
bridges construction sites in Surt and Sebha. They have not
been able to contact home because of disruptions in
communications in the last two days. Calls made from here also
are not getting through," she said.
Surt region lies north of the country and Sebha is a city
in South-western Libya.
Renjini said her husband, who had worked in Libya for
many years, returned home four months ago.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened