Help yet to reach Keralites in far off Libyan towns: Family
Thiruvananthapuram: A large number of Keralites working in Surt and Sebha regions of trouble-torn Libya are living in great anxiety as the Indian evacuation
efforts are yet to reach them, according to their family.
"My cousin Sreedharan, a store keeper in a construction company in Surt, called me the day before yesterday and said the Indian community in the area is living in fear," Renjini from Thrissur said to a news agency.
Though some of them had been able to contact the Indian
mission in Tripoli, they were yet to get any firm assurance
from the authorities when they would be taken out of the
trouble-torn country, Renjini said.
"What I could learn from my cousin was that many of them
are working in construction sites far away from urban areas
and airports. They are finding it difficult to reach safer
towns or airports as the situation in the region is quite
grim," she said.
"There are many people working in various roads and
bridges construction sites in Surt and Sebha. They have not
been able to contact home because of disruptions in
communications in the last two days. Calls made from here also
are not getting through," she said.
Surt region lies north of the country and Sebha is a city
in South-western Libya.
Renjini said her husband, who had worked in Libya for
many years, returned home four months ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY