Hit and run case: Izumo owners to pay Rs 19.5 lakh compensation
Kozhikode: An understanding on compensation has been reached between representatives of the Panamian flagged Japanese cargo vessel, `M V Izumo`, which allegedly rammed a fishing boat, and various unions in connection with the hit-and-run case off the Kozhikode coast on January 16.
As per the agreement reached at a meeting at the office of former state industries minister Elamaram Kareem, MLA, here on Thursday, the owners of the ship will pay a compensation of Rs 19.5 lakh to the three fishermen who had a miraculous escape after the ship rammed their fishing vessel `Al Ameen`, officials said.
The fishermen, who had lodged a complaint with coastal police station at nearby Beypore against NYK Hinode Line Ltd, Tokyo, the owners of the vessel, would withdraw it, as per the deal.
The M V Izumo, carrying soyabeans, was on its way to Singapore from Kandla on January 16 when it reportedly hit the boat which sank. The three fishermen on the boat had jumped overboard just before the collision and were rescued by other fishing boats in the vicinity.
As it continued with the journey, two fast patrol vessels and a Dornier aircraft of the Indian Coast Guard intercepted the vessel within hours of the incident.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa