Hit-and-run case: Panamanian-flagged vessel intercepted
Kochi: A Panamanian-flagged cargo vessel, which is suspected to have rammed a fishing boat off Beypore in Kozhikode, was intercepted by the Coast Guard (CG) and brought to Kochi port for further investigations, CG sources said on Thursday.
`M V Izumo`, carrying soyabeans, was on its way to Singapore from Kandla yesterday when it allegedly hit the boat which sank, the sources said.
Three fishermen on the boat, `Al Ameen`, had jumped overboard just before the collision and were rescued by other fishing boats in the vicinity.
The CG sources said they were investigating the alleged involvement of the cargo vessel in the incident. Police and Mercantile Marine Department will carry out the probe, they said.
The incident occurred at about 3.45 pm yesterday about 18 nautical miles off Beypore.
The three fishermen have been admitted to a hospital in Cheruvannur in Kozhikode.
The sources said on receiving information about the incident, two fast-patrol vessels and a Dornier aircraft had been rushed to the area to locate the suspect vessel.
Using state-of-the-art remote operating station at CG Headquarters at nearby Fort Kochi, two suspect vessels were identified. Inputs from the Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC-MB) were also utilised in tracking the vessels.
The whole incident was reconstructed and the suspect vessel was identified as the Panamanian ship, the sources said.
Coordinated sea-air search operations and support from Cochin Port Trust resulted in identifying and subsequent interception of the suspect vessel within hours of the incident, a release said.
CG officials boarded Izumo and investigated navigational records, it said.
The photograph of the vessel and identification marks as revealed by the fishermen also matched with that of the intercepted vessel, CG sources claimed.
The incident comes hardly a year after two marines on board an Italian vessel `Enrica Lexie` shot dead two Indian fishermen off Alappuzha coast mistaking them for pirates.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31