Home dept asked to probe rape of woman by police
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala State Human Rights
Commission has directed the Home Secretary to conduct a high
level enquiry into the alleged rape of a woman accused in a
theft case by four policemen while she was in their custody.
The Commission gave the direction on the basis of a
complaint by the woman, hailing from Vellur in Tamil Nadu.
She revealed the incident to Commission member R
Natarajan, who the other day made a flash visit to the central
jail at Viyyur in Thrissur where she was lodged in connection
with a theft case, a Commission press release here said.
The woman was taken into custody on theft charges while
she was working as a home nurse in Ernakulam on June 10 last.
She complained to the Commission that she was taken to a house
in Vellore and raped by four policemen and was produced before
the magistrate only after five days.
Doctors at the Medical College Hospital, Thrissur has
reported that she was 17-weeks pregnant, after being referred
by the jail doctor for a test.
The woman, who said she had so far not divulged the
matter to anyone, also told the Commission that the policemen
who raped her were responsible for the pregnancy, the release
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday