Ice Cream Parlour case: VS`s prayer rejected by HC
Kochi: Kerala High Court on Wednesday declined the
prayer of opposition leader in the assembly V S Achuthanandan,
seeking a direction to call for an Action Taken Report on a
fresh case registered on basis of disclosures in the Ice Cream
Parlour sex case against Industries minister P K Kunhalikutty.
The order in this regard was issued by a division bench,
comprising Acting Chief Justice Manjula Chellur and Justie P R
Ramachandra Menon after hearing senior counsel Rajendra Sachar
and Advocate General K P Dhandapani.
The bench observed that considerable progress has been made
in investigation, subsequent to the last date of hearing.About
22 witnesses were examined and AG had given an undertaking
that investigation was likely to be completed in 90 days.
The AG today assured the court that the case diary and
status report can be produced on December 22.
The Court had in September this year said it would monitor
progress of the investigation, registered on the basis of
disclosures by Kunhalikutty`s brother-in-law K A Rauf that he
had allegedly tried to influence witnesses, but had declined a
plea by Achuthanandan to order a CBI probe.
Achuthanandan in an Interlocutory application today sought
to call for an ATR, alleging that government was trying to
defeat the court`s decision for monitoring the case.
The case relates to allegations that surfaced in late
1990s that an ice cream parlour in Kozhikode was used as a
cover for luring young women into sex rackets.
IUML leader and current Industries Minister Kunhalikutty
was embroiled in the case and quit as Industries minister in
2004 in connection with the scandal.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest