Ice cream parlour scandal: VS`s plea adjourned
Kozhikode: A court on Monday adjourned to September 1 a petition by CPI(M) veteran and former chief minister V S Achuthanandan challenging the closure report by Special Investigation Team in the 1997 ice cream parlour sex scandal case.
Judicial Magistrate P T Prakassan adjourned the petition in which Achuthanandan had pleaded that he be heard before the court took a decision on the SIT`s report that there was no ground for re-opening the case.
The previous LDF government headed by Achuthanandan had ordered the fresh probe after allegations that Industries Minister and IUML leader P K Kunhalikutty had sabotaged the earlier probe.
Achuthanandan had appeared before the court on July 6 and filed the petition. He also submitted that he had moved the Kerala High Court seeking a CBI probe into the scandal.
The case pertains to allegations that an ice cream parlour in Kozhikode beach was used as a cover for running a sex racket and the names of several politicians, judicial officers and other VIPs figured in the scam.
Though Kunhalikutty never became an accused in the case, he had come under a cloud in the wake of the scandal and had to quit the UDF ministry then.
The scandal hit the headlines again last year after a relative of Kunhalikutty alleged he had helped the IUML leader to wriggle out of the case by indulging in improper means, including bribing the witnesses.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs