IIM-K inducts 35% women students in PG course
Kochi: Continuing on its path of gender diversity for the second consecutive year, Indian Institute of Management-Kozhikode (IIM-K) has taken in large number of
women students, about 35 per cent, for its flagship Post Graduate Programme (PGP) for the 2011-13 batch.
Of the total 341 students for the PGP, 121 are women, IIM-K said in a press release. This is against last year`s intake of 30 per cent. Out of the women admitted, 84 have Common Admission Test percentile between 90 and 100.
Giving prominence to girl students has become a trend in IIM-Kozhikode, Institute Director Debashis Chatterjee said. Last year also IIM-K had the maximum number of women students among all IIMs. Girls have always performed better than boys.
Even in summer placements, they have been placed in better companies, he said, adding this was all on merit.IIM-K had implemented government norms on reservations to backward and economically weaker sections, the release said.
Out of 121 women students, 91 have engineering background, while 15 are either commerce or economics graduate. Three women are doctors and one is a law graduate. A male student is from medical background.
In IIM-K 7.94 per cent students have parents whose income is less than Rs one lakh per annum, while a majority of students - 63.97 per cent have parents working either in government, PSUs or NGOs, 9.72 per cent students are children of professionals or private sector executives. Children of businessmen comprise 13.77 per cent of total students in the Institute, the release said.
Maximum students (12.65 per cent) are from Delhi followed by 12.05 per cent from Maharashtra. Students from Uttar Pradesh have fared very well and comprise 9.71 per cent of its total strength.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says