In its first verdict, spl Kerala HC bench acquits rape victim
Kochi: The special bench in the Kerala High Court, hearing petitions related to sexual assaults and atrocities against women and children, today acquitted the accused in a rape case in its first verdict.
Allowing the appeal of the accused, Sivadasan, against his conviction and sentence of 10 years imprisonment by a lower court, Justice P Bhavadasan held that there was delay in filing the complaint against the accused and holding that the statements of the victim and other witnesses were unbelievable.
The alleged incident occurred in 1994 while the victim had filed the complaint three years later.
The petitioner had challenged the order of Additional Sessions Court in Manjeri which had also slapped a fine of Rs one lakh on him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- Ravindra Jadeja: Indian all-rounder to get engaged today