‘In-principle nod to Kozhikode monorail project’
Kochi: Union Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath on Thursday said that the Centre has given its in-principle nod for the Rs 1600-crore monorail project in Kozhikode.
Speaking at the function in which Prime Minister Manmohan Singh laid foundation stone for the Kochi Metro project, Kamal Nath urged the state government to entrust the work of the monorail project to Kochi Metro Rail Limited (KMRL).
Kozhikode and Thiruvananthapuram are the two cities in Kerala where monorails are proposed.
While a stretch of 16 km, with a construction cost of Rs 1600 crore is proposed in Kozhikode, the distance to be covered in Thiruvananthapuram will be 24 km with a construction cost of Rs 2500 crore.
The Centre will provide financial support for these projects, he said.
A monorail project has already been identified in Delhi and work has been entrusted to Delhi Metro Rail Corporation.
On this occasion, Kamal Nath urged chief ministers of all states to create a dedicated municipal cadre to ensure that government`s urban infrastructure development initiatives can be made more effective and sustainable.
The government was in the process of finalising the next phase of Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM), and it was keen to explore innovative methods to raise resources including monetisation of land, encourage PPP and gap funding, he said.
Kamal Nath urged the state government to forward fresh projects in the second phase of JNUURM and said the Centre will provide full financial support for the same.
Pointing out that Central government was giving high priority to Metro projects, Kamal Nath said fourth generation technology will be implemented for the Kochi metro project, which is expected to be completed by 2016-17.
Kochi Metro is the first multi-modal system integrating road and inland water transport.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks