India has to follow soft approach towards Sri Lanka: TNCC
Rameswaram: TNCC president president B Gnanadesikan on Saturday said India has to follow a soft approach towards Sri Lanka for the benefit of all concerned and to protect Tamils and Indian fishermen.
He said India considers Sri Lanka a friendly nation, taking into consideration the welfare of Tamils living there and the welfare of Indian fishermen. "We have to follow only a soft approach if all have to be benefitted and to protect the Tamils and fishermen," he said.
Gnanadesikan said there was need to protect fishermen from alleged attacks of Sri Lankan naval men and fishermen would have to celebrate St.Anthony`s festival in Katchativu, an islet ceded by India to Sri Lanka in the 1970s. "All this should be borne in mind," he said.
He said a committee comprising officials and fishermen from Sri lanka and India had been formed to resolve problems faced by Indian fishermen and scheduled to meet between Dec 1 and 7. But Tamil Nadu government`s delay in giving consent has seen the meeting postponed to third week of December, he said.
He said the Centre would consider the fishermen`s demand for a fishing harbour in Rameswaram. The centre would also take steps to secure the release of fishermen arrested by the Sri Lankan government. "I am also pressing for it, he said.
Addressing a conference of fishermen, he stressed the need to desilt the sea for harbour and fishing purposes to benefit fishermen."Such a measure will help them fish in our territory itself," he said.
The congress leader also distributed Rs.10000 to each of the families of fishermen who died recently, as also assistance to 186 wards of fishermen.
Asked whom Congress would support in the December 4 Yercaud bypoll, he said the High command will decide on that.
He also said he was unaware when the Party organisational elections would be held in Tamil Nadu.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India