India yet to exhibit capacity for renewing democracy: Jairam Ramesh
Thiruvananthapuram: Union Minister for Rural Development Jairam Ramesh on Tuesday said the country is yet to exhibit the capacity for renewing democracy.
Delivering the valedictory address at International Conference on Deepening Democracy here, Ramesh said to strengthen the foundations, the institutions need to undergo periodic review. "This is my message on democracy," he added.
"To assess where we are on the path of democracy, we should answer the five basic questions regarding democracy: is our democracy politically representative, socially responsive, intellectually reasoning, economically responsible, and institutionally renewing," he asked.
Indian democracy is a very advanced form of political representation but socially it is not sufficiently responsive as it had not yet proved its responsiveness to chronic maladies like sanitation and malnutrition, Ramesh said.
Speaking on the occasion, Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said e-governance was the future for fostering local self governments in the state.
Kerala stood first in empowering local governments, he added.
The Conference was organised by Local Self Government department.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!