Indian held captive by ultras in Philippines back home
Kozhikode: A Keralite who escaped from the captivity of an extremist group in the Philippines returned home here on Sunday, ending 14 months` of ordeal in an emotional re-union with kin and friends.
"I thank God. But for his mercy I would not have got back to my home and my people," 36-year-old Kollara Veettil Biju said on his arrival at Kozhikode International airport by an Air India flight from Mumbai.
Biju was abducted by terrorist group Abu Sayaff in June last year while on a visit to the Philippines, from where his wife Elena came.
After remaining in captivity of the gun-wielding ultras, he managed to escape earlier this month. His passage to India, along with his wife and two children, was facilitated by the Indian Government with the help of Philippines authorities.
Biju, Elena and their children were received at the airport by friends and well-wishers. They then drove straight to home at Moodadi near Koilandy town, where the entire village had gathered to welcome him, about whose fate they had shared concern for over an year.
"This is a like second life. When I was in captivity, I never thought I would be released and reach my country and rejoin my dear and near ones," he said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days