Indian organisation to charter flights for Kerala voters
Dubai: A Dubai-based Indian organisation plans to charter flights for Kerala voters who wish to vote in the next month`s Lok Sabha elections.
The Kerala Muslim Cultural Centre (KMCC), which has 50,300 members in the UAE, 20,500 of whom are in Dubai, would be flying Keralities, eligible to vote, on April 7.
"It is a one-way ticket on discounted rates to Kozhikode district. We are in talks with a private company as well as Air India and Air India Express to charter the flights. The facility is exclusively for Keralites," Ebrahim Elettil, the general secretary of the KMCC, told Gulf News.
He said the facility is available not for KMCC members only but also for non-members, provided they are from Kerala.
The organisation was founded by expatriates from Kerala with the aim of extending humanitarian and legal assistance to those in need.
The number of chartered flights operating will depend on the number of people who come forward to register for the facility, he said.
"The private company is charging Rs 8,319 per person for 165 people, while the other two airlines from India are charging Rs 12,477 per person to fly 180 people and Rs 9,981 to fly 180 people respectively," Elettil said.
Elettil, however, said the KMCC will not have any influence on voters who use the charter flight services.
"An individual is free to vote for whoever they wish. Our only aim is to make sure that Keralites living here get an opportunity to exercise their voting rights," he said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price