INS Garuda wins Regatta
Kochi: The team of INS Garuda won the coveted Cock Trophy at the Kochi Area Pulling Regatta held at the Southern Naval Command here on Wednesday.
The team comprising ASW School Diving School, Navy Hospital Sanjivani, Survey Ships and Command Clearance Diving Team were the runners up, a naval press release said.
The keenly fought races had teams from all naval units of Kochi participating. Races were held in six categories with each team having a crew of six, including a helmsman.
Traditional Naval boats the 27- feet `Whalers` were used for the event. The total distance for the entire course was 1.6 Km.
Vice-Admiral Satish Soni,Flag Officer Commanding in Chief Southern Naval Command was the Chief Guest and distributed the traditional Cock trophy and other prizes.
The Admiral while addressing the gathering complimented them for the tremendous spirit shown and reminded them that pulling together was the ethos of the Navy. He also underscored the importance of sports and physical fitness in naval life.
A large gathering of Navy personnel and families witnessed the races. Seamanship School conducted the event.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- West Bengal Assembly Elections: Polling begins in crucial fifth phase, 680 central forces companies deployed
- Severe heat wave condition in West Bengal
- Kerela HSE (Class 12) Result 2016 is likely to be declared by second week of May
- No instances of incursions by Chinese troops into Indian territory: Manohar Parrikar
- Haryana government strips former CM Bhupinder Singh Hooda off cabinet rank