INS Garuda wins Regatta
Kochi: The team of INS Garuda won the coveted Cock Trophy at the Kochi Area Pulling Regatta held at the Southern Naval Command here on Wednesday.
The team comprising ASW School Diving School, Navy Hospital Sanjivani, Survey Ships and Command Clearance Diving Team were the runners up, a naval press release said.
The keenly fought races had teams from all naval units of Kochi participating. Races were held in six categories with each team having a crew of six, including a helmsman.
Traditional Naval boats the 27- feet `Whalers` were used for the event. The total distance for the entire course was 1.6 Km.
Vice-Admiral Satish Soni,Flag Officer Commanding in Chief Southern Naval Command was the Chief Guest and distributed the traditional Cock trophy and other prizes.
The Admiral while addressing the gathering complimented them for the tremendous spirit shown and reminded them that pulling together was the ethos of the Navy. He also underscored the importance of sports and physical fitness in naval life.
A large gathering of Navy personnel and families witnessed the races. Seamanship School conducted the event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon