IPL: Tharoor attends Kochi team meet
Thiruvananthapuram: Former Union Minister Shashi Tharoor on Tuesday attended a meeting of the Rendezvous Sports World (RSW) which exuded confidence that the controversy surrounding their ownership pattern would not affect their participation in the Indian Premier League next year.
RSW, which owns the Kochi franchise, said it would be a team Kerala which will play its matches in the next IPL season in Kochi.
"These controversies are not going to come in our way," Vivek Venugopal, one of the owners of the consortium, told reporters.
Shashi Tharoor, who quit the Union Ministry following the controversy over the Kochi team`s ownership pattern, took part in the discussions as the "mentor" of the franchise, consortium sources said.
Tharoor sought the support of all sections for the success of the franchise, he added.
The six-member team of the consortium held discussions with the KCA office-bearers on the conduct of IPL matches of the Kochi team.
Certain technical problems for conducting the matches at the Jawaharalal Nehru International Stadium in Kaloor in Kochi have been raised by certain quarters, but with the help of Kerala Cricket Association (KCA), the Consortium expected that the matches would be held there, Venugopal said.
KCA Secretary T C Mathew said a proposal to organise Kerala Cricket League was also under consideration. This would help promote Cricket in Kerala and spot young talents and train them.
Asked about Tharoor`s friend Sunanda Pushkar`s statement on returning her sweat equity, Rendezvous CEO P T Kesav said, "Her statement has come to our notice. We will take a decision on that after holding a meeting of investors and partners."
"All the financial affairs of the consortium were transparent," he added.
Venugopal and Kesav said the controversy should be forgotten for the benefit of cricket and Kerala.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh arrives in Kashmir, meets civil society delegation
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- 225 killed or missing in China rains; protests break out
- Police pressuring woman to give false statement against Amanantullah Khan: AAP
- Turkey detains Gulen`s nephew after coup attempt: Report
- UP: BJP protest for Naseemuddin Siddiqui's arrest, Dayashankar Singh's re-induction
- Discontinue pellet guns, says J&K HC citing Rajnath's statement