Italian marines` plea: SC notice to centre, Kerala
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Thursday issued notice to the central and Kerala governments on the plea of the Italian government and its two marines seeking a stop on their trial in the killing of two fishermen off Kerala coast Feb 15.
The petitions have also sought the quashing of charges against the two marines.
The court also issued notice to the Kerala Police.
Chief Master Sergeant Massimilano Latorre and Sergeant Salvatore Girone had shot dead two Indian fishermen Feb 15, allegedly suspecting them to be pirates.
The apex court bench of Justice Altamas Kabir and Justice J. Chelameswar issued notice on the mentioning of the petition by the Italian marines.
The Kerala High Court earlier dismissed their petition. The high court while rejecting their plea had slapped a fine of Rs.1 lakh each.
While issuing the notice, the apex court declined to grant interim stay of the trial court proceedings against the two marines in Kerala.
As senior counsel Harish Salve, appearing for the Italian government, pleaded for the stay of the trial court proceedings, the apex court said that it would have to hear the central and state governments before deciding the plea.
The court would next hear the case Aug 8.
The court, for now, declined to accept the plea by Additional Solicitor General Indira Jaising, appearing for the central government, to issue notice to two widows of the fishermen killed by the Italian marines.
The court said that it would do so at a later stage, if needed.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters