Italian marines` plea: SC notice to centre, Kerala
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Thursday issued notice to the central and Kerala governments on the plea of the Italian government and its two marines seeking a stop on their trial in the killing of two fishermen off Kerala coast Feb 15.
The petitions have also sought the quashing of charges against the two marines.
The court also issued notice to the Kerala Police.
Chief Master Sergeant Massimilano Latorre and Sergeant Salvatore Girone had shot dead two Indian fishermen Feb 15, allegedly suspecting them to be pirates.
The apex court bench of Justice Altamas Kabir and Justice J. Chelameswar issued notice on the mentioning of the petition by the Italian marines.
The Kerala High Court earlier dismissed their petition. The high court while rejecting their plea had slapped a fine of Rs.1 lakh each.
While issuing the notice, the apex court declined to grant interim stay of the trial court proceedings against the two marines in Kerala.
As senior counsel Harish Salve, appearing for the Italian government, pleaded for the stay of the trial court proceedings, the apex court said that it would have to hear the central and state governments before deciding the plea.
The court would next hear the case Aug 8.
The court, for now, declined to accept the plea by Additional Solicitor General Indira Jaising, appearing for the central government, to issue notice to two widows of the fishermen killed by the Italian marines.
The court said that it would do so at a later stage, if needed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed