Italian marines want to go home for Christmas
Kochi: The two Italian marines, now on bail in the case relating to killing of two Indian fishermen off Kerala coast on February 15 this year, Friday filed a petition in the High Court seeking relaxation of bail conditions to enable them visit their homes in Italy for Christmas.
The marines said their families have arranged special mass and prayers and they want to participate in the religious ceremony of Christmas in the last two weeks of this month.
The petitioners-- Latore Massimilliano and Salvatore Girone, also undertook to return to India within two weeks from the day of departure. The two also filed separate sworn affidavits in this regard.
The two were arrested from merchant vessel Enrica Lexie on Feb 19 for the killing of two fishermen-- Jelastine (45) and Ajesh Binki (25) mistaking them for pirates and the incident had led to a diplomatic row between the two nations.
According to the petitioners, Italy has taken full responsibility to ensure they will comply with the High Court order in letter and spirit.
They also produced an undertaking sworn by Consul General of Italy in India, stating that the two would be kept under `round-the-clock` custody under the control and supervision of Republic of Italy, which would take full responsibility of their return.
The marines also sought to facilitate international passage from Kochi and sought release of their passports.
The High Court had granted them bail on May 30 with stringent conditions, including that they surrender their passports and directed government to ensure `abundant caution` and inform the sea port or other authorities to prevent them from leaving the country.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand