Italian marines want to go home for Christmas
Kochi: The two Italian marines, now on bail in the case relating to killing of two Indian fishermen off Kerala coast on February 15 this year, Friday filed a petition in the High Court seeking relaxation of bail conditions to enable them visit their homes in Italy for Christmas.
The marines said their families have arranged special mass and prayers and they want to participate in the religious ceremony of Christmas in the last two weeks of this month.
The petitioners-- Latore Massimilliano and Salvatore Girone, also undertook to return to India within two weeks from the day of departure. The two also filed separate sworn affidavits in this regard.
The two were arrested from merchant vessel Enrica Lexie on Feb 19 for the killing of two fishermen-- Jelastine (45) and Ajesh Binki (25) mistaking them for pirates and the incident had led to a diplomatic row between the two nations.
According to the petitioners, Italy has taken full responsibility to ensure they will comply with the High Court order in letter and spirit.
They also produced an undertaking sworn by Consul General of Italy in India, stating that the two would be kept under `round-the-clock` custody under the control and supervision of Republic of Italy, which would take full responsibility of their return.
The marines also sought to facilitate international passage from Kochi and sought release of their passports.
The High Court had granted them bail on May 30 with stringent conditions, including that they surrender their passports and directed government to ensure `abundant caution` and inform the sea port or other authorities to prevent them from leaving the country.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US