Italian ship cannot be allowed to leave: Kerala
Kochi: The Kerala government told the Kerala High Court on Thursday that the Italian vessel Enrica Lexie, berthed off the coast, should not be allowed to leave as the investigation into two Italian marines shooting dead two Indian fishermen was on.
The Italian marines, Latorre Massimillano and Salvatore Girone, have been charged with shooting dead Ajesh Binki (25), and Gelastine (45), on February 15 mistaking them to be pirates.
The two marines were arrested on February 20. Since last Monday they are lodged at the Central Prison in the state capital.
The two Italian marines listed as accused in the case, are now lodged in the central prison in Thiruvananthapuram.
Counsel for the state was appearing in the case where the Italians have urged quashing of the FIR against them accusing them of shooting dead the two fishermen.
They told the court that the investigation is still on and hence the ship should not be allowed to sail as it would hinder the investigation.
The Kerala Police had seized the weapons that was used for shooting the fishermen and the ballistic investigations is also going in the state capital.
The court posted the case for further hearing for March 21.
A high level delegation comprising of Deputy Italian Foreign Minister Staffan de Mistura after a long stay in the state capital, left for Delhi on Wednesday.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket