Italian ship owner approaches HC
Kochi: Owner of the Italian vessel `Encrica Lexie` on Friday approached the Kerala High Court seeking release of the ship detained here following the recent shooting to death of two Indian fishermen by marines onboard the ship.
According to petitioner, Dolfin Tankers, the recovery of material objects has been affected by police and weapons were also seized. They were suffering huge losses due to the retention of the ship since the incident on February 15.
Police have given a no objection certificate but on technical reasons the authorities were not permitting the ship to leave the Kochi Port, the petition said.
Meanwhile, the petition by Italian Government and two accused marines seeking to quash the FIR in the case was heard by Justice P S Gopinathan, who later posted it to Thursday.
State Advocate General K P Dandapani justified the registration of crime and said the police action against the ship was maintainable.
Two fishermen from the state were killed when the Marines onboard the ship fired at them off Kollam coast. A murder case has been registered against the two marines, who have since been arrested amid a diplomatic row between India and Italy. Italy maintains that the marines mistook the fishing boat for a pirate vessel.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand