Italian ship owner approaches HC
Kochi: Owner of the Italian vessel `Encrica Lexie` on Friday approached the Kerala High Court seeking release of the ship detained here following the recent shooting to death of two Indian fishermen by marines onboard the ship.
According to petitioner, Dolfin Tankers, the recovery of material objects has been affected by police and weapons were also seized. They were suffering huge losses due to the retention of the ship since the incident on February 15.
Police have given a no objection certificate but on technical reasons the authorities were not permitting the ship to leave the Kochi Port, the petition said.
Meanwhile, the petition by Italian Government and two accused marines seeking to quash the FIR in the case was heard by Justice P S Gopinathan, who later posted it to Thursday.
State Advocate General K P Dandapani justified the registration of crime and said the police action against the ship was maintainable.
Two fishermen from the state were killed when the Marines onboard the ship fired at them off Kollam coast. A murder case has been registered against the two marines, who have since been arrested amid a diplomatic row between India and Italy. Italy maintains that the marines mistook the fishing boat for a pirate vessel.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- SSC CGL Official Notification 2017 expected to be released soon at ssc.nic.in