Italian ship owner approaches HC
Kochi: Owner of the Italian vessel `Encrica Lexie` on Friday approached the Kerala High Court seeking release of the ship detained here following the recent shooting to death of two Indian fishermen by marines onboard the ship.
According to petitioner, Dolfin Tankers, the recovery of material objects has been affected by police and weapons were also seized. They were suffering huge losses due to the retention of the ship since the incident on February 15.
Police have given a no objection certificate but on technical reasons the authorities were not permitting the ship to leave the Kochi Port, the petition said.
Meanwhile, the petition by Italian Government and two accused marines seeking to quash the FIR in the case was heard by Justice P S Gopinathan, who later posted it to Thursday.
State Advocate General K P Dandapani justified the registration of crime and said the police action against the ship was maintainable.
Two fishermen from the state were killed when the Marines onboard the ship fired at them off Kollam coast. A murder case has been registered against the two marines, who have since been arrested amid a diplomatic row between India and Italy. Italy maintains that the marines mistook the fishing boat for a pirate vessel.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- On being No. 1 in Tests: We need to do a lot to maintain it, says Pakistan skipper Misbah-ul-Haq
- Reasons why you're having chest pain!
- Madhya Pradesh assembly to consider GST Bill today
- Rohith Vemula suicide case: Hyderabad V-C can't be held responsible, concludes HRD probe panel
- Saradha scam: ED summons P Chidambaram's wife Nalini