Italy signs ‘deal’ to secure marines’ release
Kochi: The government of Italy on Tuesday signed Rs 1 crore compensation deal with the family members of the two fishermen who were shot dead by two Italian marines onboard `Enrica Lexie`.
As per the terms of the deal, the heirs of two deceased fishermen have withdrawn the affidavits and submissions made by them against Italy`s plea to quash the FIR registered against the marines.
The move came shortly after the Kerala High Court today permitted legal heirs of deceased fishermen to withdraw the affidavits and submissions against the Italian marines.
Justice PS Gopinathan allowed a petition filed by counsel for families of the deceased fishermen, stating they are not going ahead with their pleadings and submissions in view of the compensation of Rs one crore each arrived at with Italian authorities.
Doramma, wife of one of the killed fishermen Valentine and sisters of Ajesh Binki, the other fishermen killed, had filed the petitions.
Sources said the Italian authorities would hand over the compensation to the families later in the day.
The legal heirs had impleaded themselves in the original petition filed by Italian Consul General Giampaolo Cutillio and the two marines Latore Massimilliano and Salvatore Girone challenging the murder charges against them.
The two fishermen were killed when the marines allegedly fired at their boat off Kollam coast.
They have been arrested and charged with murder and remanded in the central prison at Thiruvananthapuram since February 19.
The ship has been anchored off Kochi coast for the past two months.
With PTI Input
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video