Italy signs ‘deal’ to secure marines’ release
Kochi: The government of Italy on Tuesday signed Rs 1 crore compensation deal with the family members of the two fishermen who were shot dead by two Italian marines onboard `Enrica Lexie`.
As per the terms of the deal, the heirs of two deceased fishermen have withdrawn the affidavits and submissions made by them against Italy`s plea to quash the FIR registered against the marines.
The move came shortly after the Kerala High Court today permitted legal heirs of deceased fishermen to withdraw the affidavits and submissions against the Italian marines.
Justice PS Gopinathan allowed a petition filed by counsel for families of the deceased fishermen, stating they are not going ahead with their pleadings and submissions in view of the compensation of Rs one crore each arrived at with Italian authorities.
Doramma, wife of one of the killed fishermen Valentine and sisters of Ajesh Binki, the other fishermen killed, had filed the petitions.
Sources said the Italian authorities would hand over the compensation to the families later in the day.
The legal heirs had impleaded themselves in the original petition filed by Italian Consul General Giampaolo Cutillio and the two marines Latore Massimilliano and Salvatore Girone challenging the murder charges against them.
The two fishermen were killed when the marines allegedly fired at their boat off Kollam coast.
They have been arrested and charged with murder and remanded in the central prison at Thiruvananthapuram since February 19.
The ship has been anchored off Kochi coast for the past two months.
With PTI Input
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what