IUML becomes third biggest party in Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram: With an excellent performance in the Kerala local body polls, Congress ally Indian Union Muslim League (IUML) on Saturday edged out the Communist Party of India (CPI) to become the third biggest party in the state.
"We have proved that we are a truly secular party by winning seats across the state. The CPI-M (Communist Party of India-Marxist) has time and again been levelling baseless allegations and even questioning our secular nature," said senior IUML leader PK Kunhalikutty.
"On one hand, they blame us for being communal but in the recent polls it became quite clear that it was the CPI-M who joined hands with parties like PDP, SDPI (formerly Popular Front of India) and Jamaat-i-Islami," he said.
IUML won 1,443 seats in the village panchayats, 190 at the block level, 32 at the district level, 234 in the municipalities and five in the four corporations and their tally is all set to increase as counting in one of their strongholds - Kozhikode district - is to be taken up on Sunday.
The CPI, which was earlier at the third position, has got only 979 seats in the village panchayats.
"Our presence now spans across the state and we are a dominant force all over. We have hugely improved our position in districts like Wayanad, Palakkad, Trissur and Ernakulam. The only place we did not do as expected was here (Thiruvananthapuram)," said Kunhalikutty.
"This election also proved that the minority community does not see the CPI-M as their saviour as always claimed by them," said Kunhalikutty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced