IUML denounces anti-Antony write-up
Thiruvananthapuram: The Indian Union Muslim League has denounced the article in the party organ attacking Defence Minister AK Antony over his critical comments about the industrial atmosphere prevailing in the state, holding that the views in the write-up are not that of the party.
In a strongly-worded clarification on the front page of party daily Chandrika, senior IUML leader E T Muhammad Basheer, MP, virtually denounced the edit page article in the newspaper on Monday.
"Such an article was unwarranted and unnecessary. The party is fully satisfied with the clarifications made by Antony himself on the speech he made at the BrahMos unit in the state capital. The opinions expressed in the article are entirely those of the writer and the party had nothing to do with them," Basheer said.
The article had made an unsparing attack on Antony over his critical remarks against the Congress-led UDF government in Kerala in which IUML is the second largest partner holding key portfolios, including Industries. Significantly, it was penned by a staffer, who is also a leader of IUML`s youth wing.
After making some stinging observations against Antony, the writer concluded saying "circumstantial evidences do not permit (us) to believe Antony`s criticism was the result of good intentions."
Antony`s remarks were interpreted by political circles and the media in Kerala as an open displeasure of the functioning of the UDF ministry headed by Oommen Chandy.
IUML leaders had earlier taken strong objection to Antony`s speech at the BrahMos unit since they suspected that its main target had been party leader and Industries Minister P K Kunhalikutty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail