IUML stands by Kunhalikutty
Kozhikode: Fully backing its leader P K
Kunhalikutty a day after police registered a case against him
on charge of trying to "sabotage" a case relating to an
alleged sex scandal, IUML Monday said the charges against him
are false and fabricated and an attempt to "tarnish" it.
IUML national President and Union Minister E Ahamed
said the allegations levelled against Kunhalikutty were
politically motivated and meant to malign the party.
"We will face it unitedly. Such ill-motivated
campaigns are not going to click or come in the way of the
Congress-led UDF (in which IUML is a key partner) in the
assembly polls," he said after a meeting of the IUML state
executive here to discuss the developments.
Senior IUML leader and Lok Sabha member, E T Muhammad
Basheer said there was a concerted move to defame the party
and Kunhalikutty personally by creating "bogus and fabricated"
The recent revelation by Kunhalikutty that he faced a
threat to his life from a relative paved the way for the row.
The League leader`s relative K A Rouf not only denied
the charge but went on record to say he had helped
Kunhalikutty to scuttle the "Icecream parlour" sex scam case
by influencing victims and witnesses to retract their
Police had yesterday registered an FIR against
Kunhalikutty, a former minister and Rouf on the charge of
entering into a conspiracy to pressurise some victims to
retract their earlier statements, which became vital in
subsequent dismissal of the case.
The `Ice cream parlour case` relates to allegations
that surfaced in late 1990s that an ice cream parlour in
Kozhikode city was used as a cover to lure young women into
Kunhalikutty quit as Industries Minister in the
Congress-led UDF Government in 2004 in the wake of allegations
in connection with the case.
The IUML leader, however, did not figure as an accused
in the case. But political rivals and women`s rights outfits
alleged that he had misused his position and clout to avoid
IUML is a constituent in the Congess-led United
Democratic Front opposition.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'