IUML to press for bifurcation of Malappuram district
Malappuram: Indian Union Muslim League (IUML), second largest partner in the ruling Congress-led UDF in Kerala, has decided to press for bifurcation of Malappuram district, citing administrative and development reasons.
According to IUML sources, the party`s district unit has already adopted a resolution in this regard and placed it before the UDF state committee with the approval of the state leadership before formally taking it up with the government.
One of the most populous districts of Kerala with a population of 4.5 million, Malappuram has always been an IUML stronghold. The party represents 12 of the 16 Assembly seats and two Lok Sabha constituencies of the district.
The League`s proposal is bifurcation of the district to form a new one with Tirur as its headquarters encompassing mostly the coastal belt of the area.
Being a thickly populated and sprawling district, the bifurcation is justified not only on administrative reasons, but also required for further development of the region, an IUML leader said.
"We expect that all political parties would support the demand. We will try to work out a political consensus and place the demand before the UDF," a senior IUML leader said.
Malappuram district was formed in 1969 by the Left ministry headed by late CPI(M) stalwart E M S Namboodiripad by taking away parts of erstwhile Kozhikode and Palakkad districts.
Formation of the district was then seen as a reflection of the growing clout of IUML, a partner in the then EMS ministry.
Though most parties supported it, Jan Sangh, which later became BJP, launched an agitation against formation of the district, holding that it would promote "sectarian interests."
"In the changed scenario, we don`t think even BJP would oppose the demand for division of the district since everybody knows that the central issue is administrative convenience and fast paced development," IUML sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm