IUML to press for bifurcation of Malappuram district
Malappuram: Indian Union Muslim League (IUML), second largest partner in the ruling Congress-led UDF in Kerala, has decided to press for bifurcation of Malappuram district, citing administrative and development reasons.
According to IUML sources, the party`s district unit has already adopted a resolution in this regard and placed it before the UDF state committee with the approval of the state leadership before formally taking it up with the government.
One of the most populous districts of Kerala with a population of 4.5 million, Malappuram has always been an IUML stronghold. The party represents 12 of the 16 Assembly seats and two Lok Sabha constituencies of the district.
The League`s proposal is bifurcation of the district to form a new one with Tirur as its headquarters encompassing mostly the coastal belt of the area.
Being a thickly populated and sprawling district, the bifurcation is justified not only on administrative reasons, but also required for further development of the region, an IUML leader said.
"We expect that all political parties would support the demand. We will try to work out a political consensus and place the demand before the UDF," a senior IUML leader said.
Malappuram district was formed in 1969 by the Left ministry headed by late CPI(M) stalwart E M S Namboodiripad by taking away parts of erstwhile Kozhikode and Palakkad districts.
Formation of the district was then seen as a reflection of the growing clout of IUML, a partner in the then EMS ministry.
Though most parties supported it, Jan Sangh, which later became BJP, launched an agitation against formation of the district, holding that it would promote "sectarian interests."
"In the changed scenario, we don`t think even BJP would oppose the demand for division of the district since everybody knows that the central issue is administrative convenience and fast paced development," IUML sources said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know