IUML worker`s murder: Kerala CPI-M leader gets bail
Kochi: Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) Kannur district secretary P Jayarajan was Monday granted bail by the Kerala High Court in the murder of Indian Union Muslim League worker Abdul Shukoor in February.
Granting conditional bail, the court asked Jayarajan to furnish a security of Rs 25,000, two sureties and directed him not to try to influence the witnesses in the case.
The CPI-M Kannur district secretary has been named as the 32nd accused in the charge sheet by police and was in judicial custody at the Kannur jail after his arrest Aug 1.
In view of the series of holidays for the Onam festival, the high court while granting bail pointed out that all steps should be taken to ensure that Jayarajan was freed Monday.
However, the first class judicial magistrate of Kannur Monday extended the remand of the CPI-M leader till Sep 10, saying that he was yet to receive any information on the bail granted by the high court to Jayarajan.
According to the charge sheet, Shukoor, a 22-year-old activist of the Indian Union Muslim League (IUML), was murdered because he was involved in an attack on Jayarajan and CPI-M legislator TV Rajesh while they were travelling in a vehicle.
IUML is the second biggest constituent of the ruling Congress-led United Democratic Front.
The first six accused include local youth wing activists of the CPI-M who had played a direct role in the murder of Shukoor, according to police.
Rajesh, the 33rd accused in the case, surrendered in court on Aug 13 after his anticipatory bail was rejected by the Kerala High Court. He was released Aug 22 after securing bail.
Of the 33 accused, 30 - who include close to two dozen activists of the CPI-M and its affiliates - have been arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!