IUML worker`s murder: Kerala CPI-M leader gets bail
Kochi: Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) Kannur district secretary P Jayarajan was Monday granted bail by the Kerala High Court in the murder of Indian Union Muslim League worker Abdul Shukoor in February.
Granting conditional bail, the court asked Jayarajan to furnish a security of Rs 25,000, two sureties and directed him not to try to influence the witnesses in the case.
The CPI-M Kannur district secretary has been named as the 32nd accused in the charge sheet by police and was in judicial custody at the Kannur jail after his arrest Aug 1.
In view of the series of holidays for the Onam festival, the high court while granting bail pointed out that all steps should be taken to ensure that Jayarajan was freed Monday.
However, the first class judicial magistrate of Kannur Monday extended the remand of the CPI-M leader till Sep 10, saying that he was yet to receive any information on the bail granted by the high court to Jayarajan.
According to the charge sheet, Shukoor, a 22-year-old activist of the Indian Union Muslim League (IUML), was murdered because he was involved in an attack on Jayarajan and CPI-M legislator TV Rajesh while they were travelling in a vehicle.
IUML is the second biggest constituent of the ruling Congress-led United Democratic Front.
The first six accused include local youth wing activists of the CPI-M who had played a direct role in the murder of Shukoor, according to police.
Rajesh, the 33rd accused in the case, surrendered in court on Aug 13 after his anticipatory bail was rejected by the Kerala High Court. He was released Aug 22 after securing bail.
Of the 33 accused, 30 - who include close to two dozen activists of the CPI-M and its affiliates - have been arrested.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...