Janata Dal in Kerala becomes Socialist Janatha (Democratic)
Thiruvananthpuram: Janata Dal(S) in Kerala led by MP Veerendrakumar, a constituent of the Congress-led UDF, became Socialist Janatha (Democratic) at a special convention held here today, attended by a hundreds of workers and senior leaders.
Projecting itself as a platform to bring together the
Socialists in the country, the political resolution adopted by
the new party said it would strive to build a socialist order
based on the Gandhian ideals and legacies of stalwarts like
Dr Ram Manohar Lohia and Jayprakash Narain.
Democracy, secularism, socialism and social justice would the
four ideological pillars of the party, the resolution said and
would seek to emerge as a mass movement committed to phasing
out the rich-poor divide and exploitation of all kinds, the
party declaration resolution said.
In his address, Veerendrakumar lashed out at the CPI-M and
the LDF rule in the state alleging the party which claimed to
be the champion of the working masses had degenerated
politically and ideologically.
The Government was more concerned to protecting the land
and lottery mafia instead of offering good governance and
ensuring the rule of law as promised during the assemly polls
four years back.
The party`s secretary general K Krishnankutty and vice
presidents Dr Varughese George and Alunkal Davassia moved
For long a partner of the LDF in Kerala, JD (S) faction
led by Veerendrakumar parted ways with the coalition on the
eve of the last Lok Sabha polls after it was denied the
Kozhikode parliament seat.
It had also snapped ties with JD (S) led by forme prime
minister H D Deve Gowda.
The party recently became a component of the UDF.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security