JSS leader KR Gouriamma leaves UDF
Alappuzha: A minor partner in Kerala`s ruling Congress-led UDF, Janathipathy Samrakshana Samithi leader K R Gouriamma and her followers on Friday decided to end its two-decade old alliance with the Front following differences.
JSS, headed by Gouriamma, passed a resolution to quit the Front at the party`s sixth state conference here.
However, a faction led by party President A N Rajan Babu, former MLA, made it clear that they would remain in the UDF. The Rajan Babu faction held a separate meeting and decided to remain in the UDF.
Gouriamma, who floated JSS in 1994 after she was expelled from CPI(M), had been a partner in the UDF since then. She was also a minister in the UDF ministry in 2001.
Gouriamma`s decision to leave the Front would not have any impact on the UDF Ministery headed by Chief Minister Oommen Chandy, as the party has no MLA in the assembly. But, the decision could dent the prospect of UDF candidates in elections in Alappuzha where the party has some presence.
For the last few months, Gouriamma had been at loggerheads with UDF over a host of issues including the complaint that her party had not been properly accommodated in the UDF. Though several rounds of talks were held between Gouriamma and UDF leaders, they failed to bring the 94-year around.
However, the rival faction alleges that CPI-M leaders have been in touch with her and she was planning to move to LDF.
Prior to the formation of JSS, Gouriamma was a prominent figure in the communist movement in Kerala. She was a Minister in the first Communist-led Ministry headed by E M Sankaran Namboothiripad in Kerala in 1957 and also a minister in the LDF ministry in 1967, 1980, and 1987.
Reacting to the development, KPCC President and State Home Minister Ramesh Chennithala said the Congress would not stand in the way of Gouriamma leaving the Front.
"We will not ask anybody to leave the Front, but we will not be a hurdle in the way of Gouriamma leaving the Front," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25